Free 10 Minute Initial Phone Consultation
Learn more about our firm. Meet an attorney with over 36 years of experience. Find out why you should hire a trial lawyer. Read Client Testimonials

Domestic Violence Lawyer in Denver

Are you being abused by your family member?

Domestic violence is taken very seriously in Colorado. If your spouse or another family member has engaged in abusive behavior, you must take action to protect yourself and any children within your family. In situations in which there is immediate concern, you must call the police at once.

To help stop future abuse, you can obtain an order of protection, also known as a restraining order against the offender. When a restraining order is established, your spouse is not allowed to come near you or your children. If a violation of this order takes place, he or she can be arrested. If you are seeking to terminate an abusive marriage, speak with our Denver family lawyer for the counsel you need.

What are the grounds for a restraining order?

According to C.R.S. 13-14-102, a restraining order may be given in the following situations:

  • Physical abuse
  • Emotional or verbal abuse
  • Threats of abuse
  • Harassment
  • Stalking

To get a restraining order for domestic violence, the offender must have been an immediate family member, or the offender may have lived or had intimate contact with the victim.

How to Get a Restraining Order in Colorado

In Colorado, restraining orders are legally referred to as protective orders. The first thing you should do is find out what kind of restraining order you should file: a civil restraining order or a criminal restraining order. A criminal restraining order is for persons who have already been charged with a criminal offense or are in the midst of an abuse-related trial. A civil order, on the other hand, is for those who are not undergoing criminal charges.

A criminal restraining order should be filed directly with the prosecutor's office. You will not need to appear in court. Civil restraining orders should be filed with the county court house.

+Download Forms

Here are the steps you can expect to take in the process:

  1. File a temporary order of protection.
  2. Once the order of protection is approved, attend the court date to get a permanent restraining order.
  3. Compile evidence that shows the threat against you or your family.
  4. Contact the police if the order is violated.

To ensure the best chance of obtaining a restraining order, obtain assistance from Sturniolo & Associates. We will guide you through the proper steps and assist you in gathering solid evidence. Our main concern is the protection of your family.

Divorce and Domestic Violence Cases

You may be afraid to leave a marriage out of fear of even more serious harm. We also understand that you may still carry deep feelings for your spouse and have difficulty with the decision to divorce. We offer compassionate counsel to help you do what is best for your well-being and the safety of your children.

At Sturniolo & Associates, we are prepared to stand by your side and help you make the abusive relationship a previous chapter of your life. As you pursue divorce because of domestic violence, you will need to know what actions can be taken. Orders of protection, however, are only temporary fixes. Our divorce lawyer can discuss the available options that may benefit you and your future in the long term.

Contact Sturniolo & Associates

No matter what your abuser may have done to you, hope can be found at our firm. Your situation is not hopeless. We can point you toward the resources you need and provide you with the caring and effective representation you require. We know the physical and emotional pain you are experiencing and can help you find a resolution. Our Denver domestic violence attorney pursues each case using a high standard of morals based on his religious faith and Christian values. For honest and compassionate legal assistance, contact us today!

I've Been Wrongly Accused of Domestic Violence. What Do I Do?

If you have been wrongly accused of abusing a family member, then you should immediately retain an attorney to defend your rights. You may be in danger of losing custody of your children, receiving a restraining order, or even being incarcerated, if the offense is serious. Call O'Malley Law Office, P.C. to speak with a lawyer that is ready to represent your best interests. O'Malley Law Office is a Christian criminal defense firm that wants to protect your access to your loved ones. Contact them as early as you can so that they can reduce your losses early on in the case.

Sturniolo & Associates - Denver Divorce Attorney
Located at 5353 W Dartmouth Ave #202 Denver, CO 80227. View Map
Phone: (303) 732-5010 | Local Phone: (303) 831-4400.
© 2020 All Rights Reserved.
Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.